Still alive!

Wow, that is a long time since my last post! Well, I had a lot to do in my daily job and all my other hobbies demanded some well-deserved time. But here I am back in front of my PC and typing away. The project is surely not dead, it just needed a bit of a break to go back to full speed again. There was a bit of a setback with the anticipated help for the graphics, so currently the team consists more or less of one person again. Nothing to worry about though, as there is no time pressure! That’s the nice thing about hobby projects…

I picked it up where I left it and finally finished the mechanism for continuous integration testing. “Continuous wha…?” I hear you say. Well, it is a buzz word for automated testing triggered by any kind of change. There are really really advanced tools to do all this kind of stuff, but I felt that they are waaaay too much overkill for my use. So I quickly setup my own system, that is really really simple. There is a daemon running on the server that watches for submits in the versioning system. As soon as something has changed, it will start a script on the server, that will get the latest version of the software and search for subfolders in a dedicated test folder.  Each of these folders contains a script, that can generally do any kind of test and will output the result on a web page. Passing and failing is signaled by a colored flag, so it is easy to see if something got broken. Additionally the test script itself and all kinds of error outputs are accessible from the web page, to easily identify a problem, when the test fails.

Up to now, the only test builds the disk image for the game, so a build buster can be easily identified. Not so impressive, as this can easily be checked locally on the machine where I do my development. But this is the basis to do much more advanced things. I am planning to run a C64 emulator and perform all kinds of tests in that, e.g. do a speed-run through the game to see, if it is still possible to finish it! I did this manually countless times for the original “Time of Silence” and it really, really sucked big time. You begin to hate a game, when you play it through for the hundred-fiftieth time, and this is definitely not a good prerequisite for coming up with ideas for improvements. So this is something that I will definitely avoid this time.

compiling

The infrastructure is now practically complete, so there is no excuse for not ramping up on the game itself again! Well, there is also the level editor, let’s see where I am going to concentrate on next…

2 thoughts on “Still alive!

    1. Vice can record and playback histories including all user input, so I need to record one successful run and can then play it back over and over again. The harder part is finding a suitable test criterion. For now my plan is to add a breakpoint in the C64 reset routine, record a RESET at the end of the run, and then dump a portion of the memory into a file using a script in the Vice monitor. This dump could then be compared to a reference. I did not fully try it out, so I am not sure if it will work out. But it looks promising :-).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *